I am a Senior Lecturer (Academic Fellow) at The University of Sydney. I hold a courtesy faculty position within the Department of Forest Ecosystems and Society at Oregon State University, and an Affiliate Assistant Professorship within the School of Environmental and Forest Sciences at The University of Washington.
My research addresses how species respond to human-induced changes to the landscape. I am particularly interested in how humans, predators and scavengers shape and drive ecosystem processes.
My doctoral research focused on the ecology and behaviour of the dingo in the Tanami Desert of central Australia. As a Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholar I investigated the ecological role of grey wolves and other large carnivores.
I currently co-lead studies assessing (i) how mountain lions and other species are responding to the return of grey wolves in Washington State USA, (ii) the ecological role of vertebrate and invertebrate scavengers in Australia, (iii) factors that lead to human-carnivore conflicts, and (iv) how to resolve the global climate and extinction crisis.
In 2018 I established the Global Ecology Lab at The University of Sydney. External roles I currently hold include being President (Acting) of the Australasian Wildlife Management Society, Council member of the Royal Zoological Society of NSW, and member of the NSW Commercial Kangaroo Management Advisory Panel.
I am always keen to collaborate with researchers and students who have similar interests and goals.
For more details see Publications:
Awards and Honours
- Supervisor of the Year Award (2018) University of Sydney
- Vice Chancellors Early Career Award (2017) Deakin University
- Whitley Award Commendation (2017) Royal Zoological Society NSW
- President’s Early Career Award (2017) Australian Mammal Society
- NSW Young Tall Poppy Science Award Winner (2016) AIPS
- NSW Fulbright Scholarship (2013-2014) Fulbright Commission
- Runner up Adolph Bolliger Award (2011) Australian Mammal Society
- NT Student Award (2010) Ecological Society of Australia
- NT Young Achiever of the Year, finalist (2009) Awards Australia
- 2021-Present: Senior Lecturer (Academic Fellow), University of Sydney
- 2018-2020: Lecturer (Early Career Development Fellow), University of Sydney
- 2017-Present: Affiliate Assistant Professor, University of Washington
- 2016-2017: Alfred Deakin Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Deakin University
- 2015-Present: Courtesy Faculty, Oregon State University
- 2013-2014: Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholar, Oregon State University
- 2007-2011: PhD, University of Sydney
- 2005 Masters: University of Sydney
- 2001-2004: BSc, University of Sydney
Are you Alan’s son? He and I used to have adjoining office at CSIRO Wildlife and Ecology and we often talked about dingoes, though I am a soil scientist. He would have been very pleased that you have carried on his tradition.
Dear David, I just saw your note from last year sorry. Yes, I am Alan’s son, and I do recall he spoke very highly of you. I worked for Bill Low for some time in Central Australia, and your name came up a lot when his group was using your landscape function analysis. I hope you are well. All the best, Tom